Friday, February 27, 2009

My Letter to the Editor

Letters to soldiers can be rewarding
I read with great interest Jinny Jordan’s column “Letter writing will not be my lost art” (on Feb. 15). I, too, have tried to maintain letter writing as part of my skill set as I know that letters, rather than bills, bring great joy to others.
I often send “thank you” notes to my staff so that they know that I have noticed them and that, in fact, I really do care about what is happening.
However, I must say, the letters of which I am most proud, are those that I have sent to U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. As a Navy veteran, I have felt compelled to support my comrades. I would like to suggest that anyone who shares the desire to maintain the art of letter writing should write to a soldier overseas. There are several Web sites where one can get the name of a soldier: www.solidiersangels.org, www.adoptaplatoon.org, www.anysoldier.com.
Soldiersangels.org, in fact, has a letter-writing team.
Thank you.
Elizabeth Welch-Carre,
Former Navy officer,
Broomfield

No comments:

Post a Comment